Vermicelli is prepared in numerous forms in India but it’s very popular in south India and Maharashtra region. Vermicelli is also known as Siwai or Javey in Northern and Central India. It is a simple and quick snack preferred as a healthy breakfast option. A delicious and easy breakfast option for everyone. You may also visit our YouTube channel Swapnav Kitchen for video of the Vermicelli recipe.
Ingredients of Vermicelli Upma
1 Cups vermicelli
1 Tablespoon mustard oil
2 chopped onions
2 chopped tomatoes
4-5 green chilies
½ T- Spoon chopped ginger
½ T- Spoon Cumin seeds
½ T- Spoon Coriander powder
½ T- Spoon Turmeric powder
1 tsp Cumin seeds
2 Glasses of water
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
- Keep the kadhai or wok on high flame and add mustard oil
- Heat the oil then add cumin seeds (let the crackle) Add onion and tomatoes
- Add chillies, ginger, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and saute for 1-2 minutes. Then add ½ glass of water and allow them to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add vermicelli and 1 ½ glass of water, mix it well
- Cover the kadai with a lid and let it cook for 5-7 minutes or until the vermicelli is cooked and the water is dried up.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and Serve immediately.